An accident in a vehicle can happen anywhere, anytime. It’s one of those unexpected things that has the huge potential to shatter our world. As difficult a time as it is, there are some steps you can take if you or a loved one has been a victim of a car accident to be eligible to claim some sort of compensation. The following points describe what you can do if you have sustained an injury from such a collision:
- The accident needs to be reported to the police. It’s important to understand that informing police of what’s occurred is a legal requirement. You can report the accident by phone or by going to a police station. You will be given the accident report reference number which is proof your report has been documented. It’s necessary that you keep this number. A good suggestion is to take a photo of it so you have a back-up copy that’s easily accessible.
- Complete an Accident Notification Form. This form needs to be completed by yourself and a doctor. The benefits of completing this form is that you might be able to claim some compensation to help you pay for medical expenses and monetary losses up to six months after the accident occurred.
- Make an appointment to visit your doctor. No doubt, that if you had sustained serious injuries as a result of the accident you would have been given medical attention and this documented on hospital records. However, it’s imperative that you see your doctor, even if you feel fine or have just minor injuries or discomfort as soon as possible after the accident. This medical check will be documented which is necessary if in the future you start to present with medical problems caused by the accident. Your medical records can legally be obtained, giving the proof that is required.
- Contact insurance providers – yours and the insurance provider of the person who caused the accident – to see what compensation you could be entitled to. Make sure you find out what the time-frames allocated are to lodge any required forms. It’s also worthy to know that basically all forms will have a section that needs to be completed by a doctor. Knowing this ahead of time allows you to plan appointments in the allotted time frame.
- The forms that insurance providers require are lengthy and at times difficult to comprehend. Legal jargon and unfamiliar words can be confusing. We highly recommend that to make your life easier, you acquire the services of a personal injury lawyer to assist you in completing the forms correctly. Your lawyer will be able to explain any terms you aren’t familiar with and make sure that all the paper work is completed accurately and faithfully.
Our professional legal team at Personal Injury Lawyers Brisbane, have had decades of experience in helping clients complete their forms. We pride ourselves in always keeping up to date with current terminology in legal trends and knowing what information insurance companies require on their paperwork. We will work with you to ensure the details you provide, places you in the best possible position for a favourable outcome. Contact us today.